Friday 20 April 2012

Return of the terrorist squirrel

He's baaaack.

Cute scheming little jerk

It is important to note, before I tell this story, that we live on the third floor of an apartment building.  And that squirrels can climb brick walls.
I container garden a little bit.  Our balcony has an east exposure so I don't get a ton of sun and usually just grow some greens and flowers and whatnot.  Last summer we became acquainted with the furry little jerk whom my fiance has nicknamed "the terrorist squirrel".  This squirrel goes out of his way to climb three floors straight up, or launch himself out of a nearby spruce tree, to visit my container garden and torment my cats.  Now I don't mind the kitties getting a little wound up, even if my curtains end up a little worse for wear as a result.  What really bothered me about the chirpy little blighter is that he simply would not leave my container garden alone!  First thing in the spring he dug up my tulip bulbs and ate them!  Then he would return on a regular basis to hide his stash in my containers.  He would make his presence obvious by dumping half the dirt out of the pots and leaving pine cones behind.  I'm a vegan and really a compassionate person at heart, but after half a dozen visits I really wanted to punt the little bastard.
And then he stopped coming, about halfway through the summer.  We had no idea where he had gone.  We didn't know if he had found someone else to torture, or if a car had got him, or whatever.  And we proceeded to forget about the terrorist squirrel.
Until last week... when I was arriving home after work. I looked up and saw the little monster climbing straight up the brick wall, chittering away to himself.  And not knowing what else to do, I said "hi", and welcomed back the terrorist squirrel.  

1 comment:

  1. lol I have one of those too! Only he sits on this very large pine tree and throws pine cones down every day. I pick them up, he throws some more (it's a vicious cycle!)

    ReplyDelete